Monday, January 30, 2012

English gardens??? Please help.?

My fiance and I are using an English garden theme for our wedding and I'm having a little trouble. From the research I've done, there are several different types of English gardens and each has unique characteristics, but the websites I've found only list famous English gardens while not really explaining the quintiscential elements that make up an English style garden. From what I understand there are landscape gardens, formal gardens (which were supposedly modeled after the French and Italian formal gardens), country gardens, and cottage gardens. I could really use some definitive information on this to help us design our theme. If anyone could tell me the difference between the different types of gardens and what flowers/plants make them up I would really appreciate it. We chose this theme because my fiance is English and Scottish and is wearing a kilt for the wedding. We thought an English garden theme would be appropriate also because the reception is in a banquet hall in a park.

English gardens??? Please help.?
When I think of English Garden I picture the cottage garden. But there are many kinds as you say, just like many kinds of American gardens. I think you can pick the kind that appeals to you. You might do better at the library where you could get several picture books on the topic and find what appeals to you most.
Reply:Most people think of a English cottage garden with a mix of flowers arranged in hodge-podge way.


No comments:

Post a Comment